/

A history of helping animals

From humble beginnings, Wood Green has grown into one of the UK’s largest pet charities. 

Today we help over 5,000 animals a year, their owners and people who are looking for a pet across three locations, including our headquarters in Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire. We also have 11 charity shops that raise vital funds for pets in need.

1924

Miss Louisa Snow opened the first centre in a small house in Lordship Lane, North London. She was concerned at the large number of abandoned and injured animals on the streets of London following the First World War.

1954

Due to the increasing number of dogs and cats being brought in, we purchased a small pig farm in Heydon, Hertfordshire to accommodate them.

1987

The Godmanchester Centre was officially opened and has become one of the largest animal rehoming centres in Europe, boasting modern facilities for the care of dogs, cats, small and field animals.

2008

The launch of our 'Hands On' project, which aims to teach responsible pet ownership and to support pet owners in the community.

2012

A new veterinary surgery and kennels block were built at our Godmanchester Centre.

2013

We won the Best Business Environmental Project in the Green Heart Community Awards

Where we're heading

We’re committed to a future where every future pet owner is equipped to make the right choices and every existing pet owner is able to give their pets the best possible care. We’ll keep on providing support and advice to pets and people to make this happen.

Our 2018 -2021 strategy - 'Bringing Pets and People Closer Together' describes how we will acheive this. If you would like to find out more about our strategy please get in touch

/

Our people

Meet the team responsible for ensuring Wood Green continually strives to create a world where all pets are well cared for in loving homes for life, continually bringing pets and people together for mutual benefit.